Thursday, July 19, 2012

only the coolest things stay cool forever.

Seasons change, fickleness happens. Something that seemed to ooze coolness that summery by the pool with the fireflies buzzing 'round may not fare so well in the winter, but the very utmost cool things stay cool forever.


Kind of like you, Dad. You have the brilliant sense of possibility of the natural engineer. You have a creative spark that delights and surprises and teaches your progeny to not settle for the dull. Your wit and delight in life are also great teachers. You're one of those forever young, forever cool kinds of people. And through it all, you are the kindest of souls, too.


I don't have a giant classic American convertible automobile, but if I did, it would have fins, and this song would be on permanent loop.

And as I drove around in that convertible like the self-actualized creature you taught me to be, I could claim I was channeling you, the coolest guy I know, but it would be more accurate to brag that I carry a whole lot of you in me in the form of your most wonderful DNA.

Happy Birthday, Dad. I love you and I'm so very proud of you.

But even if you weren't cool, you'd still be the best, and I'd be just as proud of you. I wouldn't trade you for anything. You and Mom are the greatest treasures on earth to me.




And as I drove around in that convertible like the self-actualized creature you taught me to be, I could claim I was channeling you, the coolest guy I know, but it would be more accurate to brag that I carry a whole lot of you in me in the form of your most wonderful DNA.  Thank

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, kitten!

charlotte g said...

I love this a lot. Loved it then. Overall, am not a jazz fan because most jazz sounds to me like it doesn't know where it is going. Brubeck traveled, but you always knew ne had somewhere definite to go. I still love ths. Thanks for posting.

charlotte g said...

Oh. And Rita? I played this at the top of my speakers. Made the dogs run around in the a-c. No matter.